Apart from guiding you on areas in which they have a competence and experience in, advisory board members can assist startup in the following ways:
- Make introductions to the relevant folks in your industry. E.g. vendors, customers, media, and other stake holders. One way to leverage your advisory board members connections is to request them to mention your company on their LinkedIn profile.
- Bring the domain expertise – advise you on strategy, validate your plans and challenge your assumptions
- Help you interview staff. This can be especially useful when younger founders have to interview senior folks who are older than them.
- Speak on your behalf at events
- Monitor your progress – provide early warning signals when things are not going right